With the Homeless Count tomorrow night, we thought several general pointers and reminders might be appropriate.
First and foremost, what is the mission of the Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance (MDHA)? We lead the development of a homeless response system that will make homelessness inSecond, under that mission, what is our role or roles in the community? We really have five different roles, shared by our equivalent organizations in every American community:
rare, brief and nonrecurring. Collin Counties
• Facilitate federal funding for homeless services programs totaling about $16.5 million annually
• Administer the Homeless Management Information System that drives improvement in federally funded homeless services programs, serving about 10,000 persons annually
• Maintain count of persons experiencing homelessness
– Unsheltered – That is what our volunteers will help us with Thursday night!
• Maintain inventory of housing and shelter beds for the homeless and formerly homeless
• Develop and quarterback an effective unified homeless response system, where all homeless services programs work together to make homelessness rare, brief and nonrecurring
Third, what are some dos and don’ts for social media Thursday night?
• Please use hashtag #dallascounts2017
• Please use pictures of you and your team. They are each worth 1,000 words, after all!
• Please do NOT use pictures, names or any other identifiers of our friends who are experiencing homelessness.Fourth, what can YOU do to help us end homelessness?
• Volunteer for the Homeless Count every year
• Host Room in the Inn – Allows houses of worship to not just help the homeless, but help end homelessness
• Advocate for what works – low/no barrier shelters, permanent supportive housing, affordable housing and more